03 April 2009

Anyone want to Hula?

Okay, I need to get in one more post before I head over the Rockies, back to sunny San Diego. I think it will be odd if this blog is left with only one post until after I am moved in start work, and get myself settled. But, the post after all that happens will deal with the unending dilemma I face with having to set up a kitchen every few months, so it should be interesting. Hah, hah--it will be interesting to me anyway!

A couple of weekends ago I flew back to Huntington Beach for my aunt's birthday party. It was a great day of family and, of course, food. I come from a family FULL of people who enjoy cooking, and enjoy getting together and eating. Right, we're a bunch of Sicilians, what are you going to do? I wish I could put photos in with this post, but, oh right, I didn't take any. Hey, having the camera in the purse all the time is a good FIRST step.

So, you would expect that in my family, the Italian food is to die for. It is. No doubt about it. All of the cousins--by which I mean those in the family who are of my generation--have at one point or another brought friends along to family parties. Mostly these have been holiday parties and we brought those friends who could not be with their own families. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. I mean come on, get 40 loud, happy, wine drinking, face-stuffing, joke-telling Sicilians in a small house, and those not of the Scarminach variety may get wide eyed. But, they always leave happy, well-fed, and ready to return. Two years ago my in-laws came to Christmas Eve dinner and they still mention it everytime I see them. Good food and friendship abounds.

But, back to the party, there was no Italian food to be seen. My aunt loves Hawaii, and we thought it would be fun to have a Luau. My mom and her other sisters organized it, got everyone involved, and we had great food. My assignment--and for those of you who know me well will laugh--was a coleslaw. Not particularly Hawaiian, right? Actually, it was.

I HATE cabbage and mayonnaise. Really, I have tried, but the only things I like less are Brussels sprouts and bacon-flavored jelly beans. So, I was on a quest to make a coleslaw that even I would enjoy. What I found is a great variation on it that ties it in perfectly to the country-style pork ribs (come on, Coleen was NOT going to let us dig a huge whole in her backyard and roast a pig--it would screw up the Bocce court), Hawaiian style sweet potato salad (that I will share if I get permission from my aunt--so good!), fruit platters and veggie skewers. I am also going to share my "Pacific-style" pork ribs that I made the other night, as they will go really well with the coleslaw, and are simple to do if you do not have a smoker.

Pacific-inspired Coleslaw

1/2 head cabbage, cored and sliced thinly (very thinly, no, no, as thin as you can make it!)
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
1 carrot, grated
1/2 jicama, grated (I know, they taste like dirt. But really, it is great in this recipe)
3 green onions, sliced on the bias

Dressing
3 tbls soy sauce
3 tbls rice vinegar
3 tbls oil (I think I used canola--don't use olive)
1/2 teas sesame oil
1 1/2 tbls sugar
hefty dash of red pepper flakes

toasted slivered almonds

Mix all the veggies in a large serving bowl. Whisk all dressing ingredients together in small bowl, and pour on top of veggies. Toss well to distribute the dressing onto every piece of cabbage and jicama (this helps hide the fact that on their own they aren't so great). I like to use my hands to do this. One reason is that once you get that cabbage sliced, it is rather voluminous. The other reason is that I like to chase my nephew around with my icky hands afterwards.

Once tossed, sprinkle the toasted almonds on top and serve.

I made this early in the morning, leaving the veggies in one bowl and the dressing in another. I tossed them together right before I served them so it wouldn't get soggy.

Pacific-inspired Pork Ribs

8 country style pork ribs--excess fat trimmed off
Suzy-Qs seasoning (don't have it in your store? call my mom)
1 1/2 oranges sliced

1/2 c Plum sauce from your local Asian Market
1 large clove fresh garlic, grated finely
1 teas sesame oil
juice from 1/2 orange

Season ribs with Suzy Qs seasoning (basically, salt, pepper, garlic powder)--I use it fairly liberally. Place in one or two roasting pans and lay 2-3 slices of orange on top of each rib. Roast in 350 degree oven until the pork is just slightly pink in center. I am not going to give a time, because it really depends on how thick your ribs are and whether or not they have bones. When they are 5 minutes from being done, get your grill going on high heat.

While the ribs are roasting, mix the ingredients for the sauce together. When you take ribs out of the oven, remove orange slices and discard, and liberally brush tops of ribs with sauce mixture. Place sauce side down on grill and leave 4-5 minutes. You'll get those pretty grill marks and cook the sauce. While they are on that first side, brush the other with sauce. Flip and grill for 4-5 more minutes, remove from heat, and let rest for 7-8 minutes off heat.

When we had the ribs the other night, we ate them with oven roasted small tomatoes and asparagus. We also drank a bottle of Brunello (thanks to Sarah for the Christmas gift she sent). If you have them with the slaw, try a potato salad and/or Hawaiian bread along with it.

Done and yum!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, bacon-flavored jelly beans? That's just nasty! Coleslaw is among my least favorite foods, too. The ribs sound fabulous. Did Danny create the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I created this one. The one he did for the party came form my Uncle Dave and was great too. Danny is going to e-mail that one to me--I'll get it to you when he does.

    ReplyDelete