25 April 2009

Ice Hockey


I love ice hockey, and most of all, I love the Anaheim Ducks. In fact, I recently got a chance to meet them all--one-on-one--take a few pictures, and have Scott Niedermayer sign my jersey. I was on the edge of my seat at the end of March/beginning of April, wondering if they would make the playoffs. Thankfully they did, and here I am in southern California to enjoy the playoff games.

Scott Niedermayer and I outside the Honda Center!



One would think that with Anaheim being an hour and a half away, the games would all be on tv, guaranteed. Well, as it turns out, Cox cable company here in SD doesn't carry Prime Ticket, the channel that half of the games are broadcast on. Tonight's game is on Versus, so I get to watch it at home, but Thursday night's game was not, and I wound up at Hooters.

I'm sorry, did you say Hooters? Oh yes, there I was, sitting at the bar in Hooters watching the hockey game. I went alone, but considering my moving around so much, I do that a lot. Generally I try to avoid places where single men flock to watch sporting events and gawk at cute girls with huge boobs in tiny tops. But, I really had no choice. So I bellied up, ordered a black-and-tan, and watched the game.

I hadn't eaten dinner, so as the first period was ending, I ordered. They had some nice salad options, and some great sounding grilled seafood. I ordered the Western BBQ burger (topped with cheese, onion rings and bacon) and curly fries. NOT exactly low-calorie. It tasted good, but my system was not happy with the onslaught of artery corroding fat and cholesterol.

So, I am happy to be home tonight watching the game. This doesn't mean I am eating like a saint, but I am eating much healthier, and to be honest, better tasting food. If you read the last posting, here is another option for that left-over cilantro.

Black bean dip

1 can black beans
1 small can Hatch green chilies-chopped
2-3 teas cumin
1 teas dried oregano finely crushed
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 c grated onion
juice of 1/4 lime

1/4 c grated cheddar or jack cheese
1/4 c cilantro leaves chopped roughly

Combine first six ingredients in skillet over medium heat. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low simmer, and mash beans to desired consistency with potato masher. Simmer for about ten more minutes to reduce liquid and meld flavors. Remove from heat, stir in cheese until just melted and toss in cilantro. Spoon into a bowl and serve with chips.

**If you want it completely smooth, pour into food processor, and process until smooth after reducing liquid a bit.

You'll notice that I did not add salt. The canned beans and canned chilies each have salt in them, and when combined with the cheese, it seems to be salty enough. This is a much healthier alternative to cheese dips at restaurants, and is really quite simple to make.

This was my appetizer that I ate during the first period of the game. The second period, I had my dinner which was a version of the Rice and sausage dressing recipe. I used the Trader Joe's brown rice medley (1/2 cup) and pork Cajun sausage (2 large sausages) and upped the eggs to 2. This made it more like a casserole than a dressing. I also added red pepper flakes and tarragon. Spicy and tasty!

Well, Cara, you asked what was for dinner, and there it is. Not particularly balanced, I know, but it is Saturday and I did not feel like having a salad, or any veggie other than the onion and celery in the casserole.

What will I eat during the third period? I'm thinking a mint Skinny Cow--the only ice cream I like.




2 comments:

  1. Oooh, you should try the cookies 'n cream Skinny Cows!

    For this recipe, did you drain/rinse the beans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried them. I love them, Josh does not. And no, I did not drain or rinse the beans.

    ReplyDelete