09 April 2009

A new kitchen...again

I travel a lot for work. Not like most people do where they are in one city or another for a couple of days at a time. I move to a city for 1-6 months at a time. It is a way of life that most people aren't familiar with, and if they were, would make them run far in the opposite direction. I enjoy it--a new city, new company, working with people I have worked with in the past once again--and look forward to each new adventure.

Moving sucks! Packing, loading, hauling, unloading, unpacking, finding enough hangers (where the hell do they go!?!), getting settled. Some rooms are easier than others. Bathrooms not so bad, even bedrooms are relatively simple. Living rooms take a little longer, but really, this is all pretty easy when you are given a furnished apartment.

But, what about the kitchen? This tends to be my personal hell. For whatever reason, almost no kitchen is ever furnished properly. I mean, how difficult is it to have a cookie sheet or a cheese grater ready to go? So, what do I do? I pour myself a glass of wine (because there is inevitably a corkscrew in each kitchen, and if not, there is one in my luggage and one in my glove box) and start to unload my own personal stash of kitchen gadgets, glasses, and bakeware that I take with me to each place. I buy a few new pieces each time I go somewhere, and if it is not precious to me, I leave it for the next person. But anything I really invest in, or find that I really like, I take with me from place to place.

So, that makes it easy to have the gadgets, dishes, etc. that I need to be able to cook with. But, there is one other big part of this equation--the ingredients. Most furnished apartments have furniture, linens, etc. But the most I have found in the way of food is usually a basket with coffee, powdered creamer, sugar, and a tea bag. That means that each time I go somewhere I have to buy ALL the things I need to make meals with. This probably doesn't seem too difficult, but think about all those things you have in your fridge and pantry that make it easy to make a meal. All the basics, they have to be purchased along with all of the weekly items that I pick up. Besides needing to remember everything, it gets EXPENSIVE.

By this time, I should have a list of the things I need, aside from the fruits, veggies, and meats that I pick up depending on my mood. Well, I guess this will serve as that which I need, from here on out. I've been here in San Diego for 4 days, have been shopping 3 times, and I have a list on the fridge of things I have still forgotten.

So, here it goes. I will break it down by "type" of food, and may update it several times within this next week.

Dairy
butter
milk
sour cream
eggs (I know they aren't "dairy", but where else should I put them?)
yogurt
cheddar
goat cheese

Baking
flour
sugar
oil--I do olive and vegetable
salt and pepper (I add no more spices here because I take spices and dried herbs with me)
baking soda
baking powder
pancake mix, syrup

Pantry
brown rice
canned beans--black, pinto
canned tomatoes
pasta--a variety
coconut milk
olives--black, green, Kalamata
roasted red peppers
vegetable broth
canned Hatch chilies

Condiments
mustard
salsa
salad dressing
soy sauce
vinegar--red wine or balsamic
mayonnaise--gross, but sometimes necessary

Freezer
pizza (for the nights you just CAN"T cook)
pork chops
eggplant cutlets
sausage--Italian, Andouille, Bratwurst, etc.
Menage a trois frozen bell peppers--Trader Joe's
Frozen corn (good for tossing on salads, in curries)

Beverages
Good Earth tea
coffee
decaf coffee
Diet 7-up
red wine
white wine

Fruits and Vegetables
garlic--lots of it
onions
lemon
lime
salad greens
carrots
mushrooms
cilantro
basil
rosemary
celery
potatoes

Bakery
bread
tortillas


THIS IS MY LIST!!! These are the things I have had to buy in the last 3-4 days. I do this every time I move--it gets tiring. I mean, really, my arms get tired carrying all this crap. And like I said, it is pretty pricey too. Thank heaven for places like Trader Joe's.

Okay, I am going to go make myself some dinner. I hope yours is great!




2 comments:

  1. You are so smart to pack up and take the spices with you. Seriously, I think that can be the most expensive part. When we first moved to Oregon we were in a corporate apartment for two months while all our stuff was in storage. The place was furnished pretty much like a hotel suite with a kitchenette, so we had all the basics, but what a pain to buy all those pantry staples all over again! We thought we had it made, then came Easter (last year's) and we had to buy cinnamon for the Sicilian Easter Ring. I think we now have like four cinnamons.

    And on the subject of seasoning, how do you handle your fresh herbs? I have sorta tried to do the Rachael Ray thing and wash, dry, and store my fresh herbs as soon as I get them home from the store, but I must have been too impatient or something because I think they were still a little wet: they still wound up slimy and black before I could use them up. It's impossible for me to use up a whole bundle of cilantro unless I'm making Guac for England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pain to have to restock your kitchen each time you move, but you know what you like and what you'll use so you may as well buy it.

    How are you doing? Do you feel settled now? What's on the menu for dinner tonight? Can I come?

    ReplyDelete